Friday, August 1, 2008

LEO DISTRICT PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Leo District 412
LEO DISTRICT PRESIDENT’S REPORT

Compiled for: LEOS 1ST COUNCIL MEETING 9 AUGUST, THORNHILL HIGH GWERU

Lions DG Iqbal Joosab-Ali, LDC Lion Jona Machaya, Lions Cabinet Officials, Lions, Leos and invited guests. Good day to you all. A special welcome to LD413 President Leo Stephen Besa.
1.0. INTRODUCTION
I am honoured and privileged, that you have given me this opportunity to serve as your Leo District President for 2008-9. This year promises to be one of great wonders, as we have seen the rise of new clubs and the reincarnation of dormant ones.
In line with the Lions IP Albert F. Brandel `s theme, ‘MIRACLES THROUGH SERVICE` and DG Iqbal Joosab-Ali`s theme ‘CREATING WONDERS THROUGH SERVICE’ my theme for this year is TEAMWORK AND FELLOWSHIP FOR MIRACULOUS SERVICE. Let us make miracles happen within our communities as we continue to work together.
2.0. MEMBERSHIP
At the moment, there are about 49 Leo Clubs in our District with a total of 800 plus Leos. However, only 28 of these clubs are currently registered at LCI.
I am happy to note the launch of University of Zimbabwe Campus Leos, Gweru MSU Campus and Jameson High Alphas in Kadoma, although they are yet to be chartered. I would like to commend former Redcliff Leos Pritchard, Wilson, Joseph and Rachael for founding UZ Campus. You have made the District proud. Special mention also goes out to Harare West Leos who are now very active after being dormant for a while.
Our District will continue to grow, as we intend to establish more Leo Clubs before the end of the year.
3.0. DISTRICT ACTIVITIES
At our District Convention in March, I mentioned in my inaugural speech that we hoped to reintroduce Leo Exchange. As testament of this, in April we travelled to Zambia for the District 413 Conference and here today is LD413 President Leo Stephen Besa.
In May I was privileged to attend the Lions D412 Convention held in Malawi. I had the opportunity to meet Lions from within the District as well as from Zambia and India. It was however, disappointing to note that I was the only Leo present. I hope that more Leos will attend the next Convention in Francistown in May 2009.
4.0. CLUB VISITS AND INDUCTIONS
In May I managed to visit Leo Clubs of Thornhill, Regina Mundi, Fletcher and Chaplin. I also accompanied LDC Lion Jona and LRIIIC Leo Catherine Mangwendeza to Gweru MSU where we discussed the establishment of a Leo Club.
I attended the induction at Goldridge College in Kwekwe on 22 May and on 31 May I accompanied LRIIC Leo Brian Sairai to the Peterhouse Alphas induction in Marondera.
I intend to visit clubs in Regions IV and V during the 1st Quarter of the year and hopefully Region I in the 2nd Quarter.
5.0. LIONS ACTIVITIES
On 29 April I attended the Kadoma Lions Charter dinner. Even though this is a new club, they accepted the challenge to sponsor Jameson High Alphas. I can only hope that other Lions will follow their example.
On 8 May I managed to attend the last Zone E Meeting for 2007/8 at Gweru Lions Den.
6.0. CONCLUSION
I look forward to working with the new District Board. I urge you to maintain the same enthusiasm and commitment that you already have. Special mention goes to PLDP Leo Melusi Lusaba. He is probably the most passionate of us all, as he continues to deliver the District Newsletter despite many adversities. Many thanks to Lion Jona, for accepting to put up with us for another year, as our chairperson.
Lastly, I would like to congratulate the organising committee, Thornhill High Alphas and their patron, for the hard work they put into making this Council Meeting a success.

LEO TINTA MZEMBA.
Leo District President

No comments: